installing gconf defaults - newbie question

Hi

I'm using gconf with my application, and I want to install defaults
with gconf when the app is installed. I have been searching through
documentation and mailing lists but can't find the answer, though I am
sure it is simple.

I want to install schema files, and ensure that default values are set
so that when I do

  gconftool-2 -g /apps/blah/someKey

as a normal user, I will get the default value. As root, if I do

GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE="" gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule blah.schemas

I see the schema files are installed and applied. But if I then look
for a key as a normal user, I don't get a default value.

I have been reading through the Gnome admin guide, and it suggests
that to set default values, I have first to make all users logout,
then use
  gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=blah

But if I am writing an rpm install script, how can I make all users logout?

Or am I misunderstanding everything?

Cheers
David