Re: gconftool--2 --shutdown command

On Wed Aug 10 04:31:52 2005, Terry Wagoner wrote:
I used the gconftool--2 --shutdown command as root on my Fedora Core 3 machine before I read the man page that says, "Don't use this option without good reason." Can you tell me how to restart it?

As a quick response, which may not be accurate:

As far as I'm aware, any attempt to access gconfd by a "new" client will cause it to be started.

I'm not so certain about existing processes, however, there are unlikely to be many - gconftool-2 --shutdown shuts down the current user's gconfd only, not all of them, even when run as root. I'm pretty sure that logging out and in again will cure it even if you killed your own, though.

Hope that helps.

Dave.