Re: supporting notifications from backends

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 17:54, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>   + Added a FIXME to source_notify_cb(). Basically, we should be able to
>     prevent notifying the client of a change if the change won't
>     actually cause the client to see a different value. I'm going to try
>     and get the patch in #88829 merged soon too and we should be able to
>     re-use some of that to fix this. See gconf_sources_is_affected() in
>     the patch with that bug.

Comparing the above with:

> +Note, the backend should <emphasis>not</emphasis> notify the daemon of
> +any changes that originated from the daemon itself.

suggests to me that "should <emphasis>not</emphasis>" is equivalent to a
RFC2119/BCP14 "SHOULD NOT", rather than a "MUST NOT".

Am I right? Some backends may have to increase complexity in order to
figure out whether the notification is due to their own change, and the
FIXME should catch this case anyway.

Also I'm a little unclear on how threading might or might not work -
could I call the notify function from any thread, or am I best off
processing notifications whether the backend is called?

Dave.