Re: Tunable sysconfdir subdirectory

On Monday 16 February 2004 00:11, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > And then, after changing this, allow the user to change the value of the
> > subdirectory.  This can be done through a configure argument (--with or
> > --enable), though I feel it's an overkill, since this feature will be
> > used by very few people and would otherwise confuse others.  Another way
> > to do this is by an environmental variable that can be set before running
> > configure, which is more obscure, but also effective.
>
> Why do you think a configure variable is overkill? Wouldn't you set it
> up so that the GConf build process behaves the way it does now by
> default and when somebody passes in --with-pkgsysconfdir it is
> overridden?

Well... because a variable is less intrusive ("visible") than an argument ;)
But if there are no objections in implementing such thing, an argument is
preferred, I guess.  And yes, I agree in that everything should remain the
same, except when explicitly changed by the user.

> That is the solution I have seen (and implemented) in other places to
> help out the *BSD guys.

Good to know it's already done in other places.

> If it is non-intrusive in the default case (i.e. everything just works
> as it does now), helping out a distribution like this does not seem a
> bad thing. Of course, I carry no weight here, so this free advice may
> not be worth what you paid for it.

Thanks for the comments.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv menta net>