Re: GConf, local lock and TMPDIR

Hi Frederic,

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 17:10, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> This problem is supposed to be fixed in 2.4 using local lock workaround.
> Unfortunately, gconf is using g_get_tmp_dir to get temporary directory..
> This is a problem when user set TMPDIR variable to $HOME/tmp (this is by
> default on Mdk system)..

	Sigh; we did the same thing in ORBit2 / bonobo-activation-server -
precisely because people filed bugs saying "Not using TMPDIR".

	Is this another one of those high-(low)-security features like the
"can't list /tmp" which opens the secure socket dir DOS hole on Mdk only
? :-)

> I'd like to force use of "/tmp" in gconf-internal.c and
> gconf-sanity-check when local_lock are used.

	We should standardise on some "REAL_TMPDIR" type environment variable
for ORBit2 / b-a-s too.

> Any opinion against this ?

	Yep - the whole world sucks ;-)

	Regards,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot