Re: GConf, local lock and TMPDIR

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 14:18, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 12:10, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > This problem is supposed to be fixed in 2.4 using local lock workaround.
> > Unfortunately, gconf is using g_get_tmp_dir to get temporary directory..
> > This is a problem when user set TMPDIR variable to $HOME/tmp (this is by
> > default on Mdk system)..
>
> Forcing /tmp isn't really right, since people may legitimately relocate
> to TMPDIR. I'd suggest that either people use GCONF_GLOBAL_LOCKS=1, or
> on Mandrake you hardcode /var/tmp or something in gconf maybe?
>
> Dunno, we ultimately need to find a non-hack solution.

How about something as simple as adding another environment variable to
the list? If $GCONF_TMPDIR is set, that gets used, otherwise use
$TMPDIR. Then Mandrake can set $GCONF_TMPDIR and the rest of us will
have it work just out of the box.

At the end of the day, it's pretty tricky to find a directory that will
work in all cases, so something gconf-specific is not just adding
another variable to the pile of useless environment settings.

Malcolm