Re: gconf path problem, Sun GNOME

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 10:13:18AM -0700, Ryan Lovett wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:04:34AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > > Can one configure gconfd (2.2.0) where it reads and writes the ior?
> > > (or is this only with GCONF_LOCAL_LOCKS) I'd like to try writing it
> > > to ~/.gconfd/lock/ior-SunOS or something.
> >
> > I think the /tmp refers to GCONF_LOCAL_LOCKS - being able to configure
> > the IOR would make sense, but unfortunately there's no such feature.
>
> I've attached a patch for an initial stab at configuring the ior name. I
> tried it out with a Sun GNOME installation using gconf defaults and
> Debian Linux GNOME using ~/.gconf-Linux and ~/.gconfd/lock/ior-Linux. I
> was able to log a user into to two different machines simultaneously
> using different gconf storages.
>
> Its against 2.2.0, but glancing at cvs gconf I don't think it'll be a
> problem there. Suggestions, corrections, etc. are welcome.

Thnaks, I think the feature is reasonable. My main comment here is
that if we're introducing a configuration file, I'd like it to be in a
better-defined format than the path file - pseudo-XML parsed with
GMarkup is probably easiest. If you look at the dbus configuration
file format (www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/) that's about right I
think.

If we're going to do a short term easy patch rather than set up a
full-scale config file, I'd probably go with just an environment variable.