Re: gconf path problem, Sun GNOME

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:41:49PM +0100, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Perhaps this might require that gconf allow certain preferences to
> have per-host settings.

It already does. Just have a per-host config source in your gconf path
file.

> Other problems are caused by gconf settings containing full pathnames
> which are not consistant across platforms.  It would be better if
> the full pathnames were not stored in gconf, but were instead computed
> at runtime.  In other words, it might make more sense if gconfd simply
> knew where to look for pixmaps on a given system, etc.

This is an application bug; unfortunately, the bulk of the work in
making different logins/gnome-versions/operating-systems coexist is
necessarily on the application side.

If people really want this to work I think the #1 priority should be
to have a regular test plan, or even automated checker application,
that can be used to check whether it works and file bugs as required.