Alternatives to lists

I'm writing an applet which has some sets of related options and the
number of options in each set can vary. I've been using lists so far,
but it doesn't really suit the way my program reads them, and lists
aren't supported by the panel-applet gconf front end.

I don't suppose there's anything to stop me generating new keys on the
fly? Ie instead of having a list in key "chips", can I use chip1, chip2
etc and add new ones as needed on the fly?

Ideally I'd like to be able to have a schema cover multiple keys with
wildcards or something. Is that possible?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk