GConf 1.0.7 "ior" problem

Hi,

I upgraded my GConf installation to 1.0.7, so that I could use the latest
versions of Galeon. Unfortunately, nothing that requires GConf worked
after that :(

For some reason, the gconf server refuses to be spawned, either "on
demand" when applications want it, or explicitly through gconftool
--spawn. When I strace an application or gconftool --spawn, the final
death throws involve looking for ~/.gconfd/lock/ior, which doesn't exist,
and is never created as a consequence. I've attached a trace of galeon
doing just this.

But what is an "ior" (I couldn't work out what it meant from the gconf
code...), where did it go, and most importantly, how can I get it back
again!

Looking through some of the dicussions on this list in the past, there was
mention of NFS mounted home directories. As far as I know, mine isn't, and
I also ran the "lockit.c" code provided in one of the posts, which
successfully locked a file in my home dir, unlocked it and exited
properly.

Please, if anyone can help with this, I'd really like to have my GConf'd
applications back! :)

Thanks!

|  Giles Burdett - Computer Science Dept.  |
| gab103 york ac uk / gab103 cs york ac uk |