Re: crash in notifications

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> writes:
> get_conf_client just returns a pointer to a static GConfClient. The code
> that causes that crash is just a call to gconf_client_set_string.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Is it a bug in GConf? If so, I'll add a bug
> to bugzilla with this backtrace, if you want.

The problem is that GConfClient is not reentrant, i.e. if you set a
value from inside a notifier it gets confused.

My plan to fix it is to reference count the GConfEntry object. I've
been meaning to do this for a while.

Though I do want to fix this, I'd also caution you that setting a
value in response to a notify is in all cases I've heard of so far a
really bad idea. So you might also want to change your code to avoid
this. In particular you should _never_ be setting the same value you
just got notified about.

I'd appreciate a bugzilla bug if you get a chance. I should fix this
soon.