Re: gnome from rh7.3 with afs

Thomas C. Meggs wrote:

Hi,

We are looking at running Gnome 1.4 as provided by RH7.3 as the standard Windowing environment on our Linux installs. File systems are centralized using AFS, and gconf has been giving us errors. It gets rather confused with multiple logins, and errors have been persistent after both machines are logged out of, so I was wondering if there is also a problem with file locks.

I have been reading the documentation at http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/, and it mentions solutions for file locking with NFS, which may or may not be a problem. I am however a little confused about how the CORBA network connections work. It is my understanding that gconf is a per-user daemon, so does gconf manage letting the other gconf instance(s) know what IP it is on? Is all I need to do from the administrator point of view to add "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" to /etc/orbitrc?

If anyone has any info on this setup let me know! Thanks.

I have jsut gone through the same traouble. What you might be missing is that if you are r using tcpwrappers (ie have active hosts.allow/deny files) you need to give orbit access to the right machines. Unfortunately nobody seems to know the right daemon name for orbit so I am using ALL : ALL which of course disables hosts.allow completely but makes gconf work.

therefore yo need to add/edit /etc/orbitrc and /etc/hosts.allow on all your clients. (gconf will live for up to 2 minutes after logout of the last machine).

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/aguelzow