Problem installing schemas file in case that prefix != gconf prefix

Dear all,

The GNOME application gok is having a problem installing its gok.schemas
file in the case that the gok install prefix != the gconf install
prefix.  I was hoping you might be able to tell me how to determine
where a schemas file should be installed to at make install?  Thank you
very much.  Please see below for more details.

Michael Meeks wrote:

>        As if by some wierd gconf error; I installed the gok schemas, which
> showed up just fine in gconf-editor as schemas, but somehow they weren't
> being applied - and the gok.schemas was not in /etc/gconf/schemas.
>
>       Most odd; copying gok.schemas there made it work though - slightly
> scary, I can't see anything being done wrong in the autotools so ...

Michael, thank you very much for finding this problem. I have also sent
this reply to the gconf-list as someone there might be able to help.

I looked over the output from make install and saw this:

/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /opt/gok/etc/gconf/schemas/
 /export/home/sjb/bin/install -c -m 644 ./gok.schemas
/opt/gok/etc/gconf/schemas//gok.schemas
GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=xml::/gnome/head/INSTALL/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults
gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule gok.schemas

It looks like the way the gok Makefile.am is setup the gok.schemas is
installed relative to the prefix for gok rather than relative to where
gconf is installed.

My Makefile.am contains:

schemadir = @GCONF_SCHEMA_FILE_DIR@
schema_DATA = gok.schemas

And the generated Makefile contains:

GCONF_SCHEMA_FILE_DIR = $(sysconfdir)/gconf/schemas/

So, my guess would be that $sysconfdir = /opt/gok/etc

Thanks again,
Simon.