Re: LDAP backend anyone?

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> "Shahms E. King" <shahms shahms com> writes:
> > I was thinking about implementing Netscape roaming profiles in Galeon
> > (because they're wonderful!) and it occurred to me that this
> > functionality could be gained for free were I to write a LDAP backend
> > for GConf instead.  so, now I've got 3 questions:
> >
> >         1. is anyone working on this?
>
> There's another start on an LDAP backend out there, but I haven't
> looked at it yet. Check the list archives.

I played around with this late last year... I presume the talk here is
about that code :/ It worked fine for me here, and I was always hoping to
get it into the main tree. Since then I have moved to using ferris for
VFS and config data, though there is still interest in gconf on my part.

> >         2. would there be any interest in this?
>
> Yes, I think so. The main challenging thing is how to store the
> hierarchical filesystem-like structure of GConf in the database-like
> structure of LDAP, without just making a big mess. I think it'd take
> some careful thought from a sysadmin perspective; because the data in
> LDAP has to look reasonable from the LDAP side of things.

The solution I took was to take a DN for the root of the config data, and
store everything in a hierarchical filesystem-like structure on the LDAP side.
As LDAP is hierarchical in nature this seemed to be a decent solution.
Though my RFC at the time merited 0 replies of ppl wishing to talk about the
layout. Since then I have read more books on LDAP, so I am in a better position
for the "management" side of LDAP now.

> >         3. since I haven't yet looked at actually doing this, how
> >            gracefully does GConf handle backend stuff? say, if the LDAP
> >            server is unavailable will it be able to gracefully fall back
> >            to using a local store?
>
> Yes, it can do this.

I also hacked a more virtualized backend subAPI at the time IIRC, though there
was not too much to that.

Get a hair cut and get a real vfs:
http://witme.sourceforge.net/libferris.web/