Re: GConf vs. bonobo-config

Hi,

I'm switching to very angry mode, and removing every swear word than
comes up to my mind.

On 16 Jun 2001 00:11:24 +0200, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> Sander Vesik wrote:
>
> > Well, lets go back to some well know ground.
> >
> > Dietmar:
> >         * to the best of your knowledge, how many people were aware of
> >           'bonobo-config, the brand new configuration system for gnome'
> >           before this thread?
>
> Many. I have already made two announcements on the gnome lists. We also had an
> extensive discussion on the gconf list (half a year ago). Most people at Ximian
> are aware of the project, and I have even talked to peoples at Sun ;-)

So is that it ? People at Ximian and Sun knew about it, and then the
whole Gnome community knows about it ?
I'm an application developer, I've been to GUADEC, been nearly every day
on the gnome irc channel for the last 8 months, read Gnotices every day,
am on the Gnome2 and the gnome-devel mailing list, and I never heard of
bonobo-conf(ig).

Am I supposed to work at Ximian or Sun to know what my applications are
going to use to read their configuration ?

> >         * Why do we want it anyways?
>
> unified interface for property values, code cleanup, code reuse, CORBA interface,
> scriptable, CORBA_any, ...
>
> > General questions:
> >         * porting - how much additional porting will using bonbo-config
> >           instead of gconf introduce?
>
> We can even provide fully compatible function.
>
> >         * more importantly - why would one go to the effort?
>
> see above.
>
> >         * how much overhead does it add?
>
> none
>
> >         * API freeze/code freeze/documenetation timeline?
>
> no problem if we work together.
>
> >         * what happens to interoperability in a scenario where not all
> >           applications port to bonobo-config and bonbo-config is switched
> >           to use some other backend?
> >         * if the above won't happen then why?
> >
> > It sure does look like a whole big subsystem is just being sneaked in
> > through the back door.
> >

> You missed some previous discussions.

Seems like I did as well.

Blow, I'm pissed off.