Re: GConf vs. bonobo-config

Ramiro Estrugo <ramiro fateware com> writes:

> Well, we certainly care in Nautilus, where as I said before we still use
> gnome_config_ for "legacy" settings.
>
> And yes, it complicates life and makes the user's experience less that
> pleasant.  For example, for notifications we need to poll certain config
> files.  This makes Nautilus more complicated and harder to maintain and
> doesn't work in all cases.  I think the user needs to use the capplet in
> a specific way to make it work if my memory is correct.

My "ditem" moniker for bonobo-config will solve this problem.

Use bonobo-config for all the GNOME 1.x and KDE configuration data which you
want to read/write. You'll get the nautifications through bonobo-config (*),
even if the actual configuration data is still in the old format.

(*) currently this only works if the writing goes through bonobo-config as well,
    but I'm working on this.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)