Re: GConf and bonobo-conf

> Michael, I'm really on your side; I would love to be able to easily
> store rich data in GNOME's configuration system, but there is a
> mis-match in the data model. If we add the bonobo-conf feature to
> GConf, it becomes very difficult to persuade developers that they
> should only use it for configuration data structures that will not
> change (because handling multiple versions of the data is hard).

Colm,

   You seem to be forgetting that you *still* have to tell users of
GConf that they should only use it when the underlying data types are
*never* going to change.

   The fact that we are promoting CORBA_Any is a completely
independent issue of the fact that changes in the formal "interface"
of the stored data should be dealt with with a versioning model.

   *All* of your comments dealing with changes to CORBA_any apply as
well to *any* use of GConf's keys and data contents.

Miguel.