configure path for libglade

Hello,

This is the first time I try to compile gnome.

When I ran
gnome-core-1.4.0.4/> ./configure

It told me

checking for Glade libraries >= 0.14...  found only
libglade-0.13
configure: error: You need at least libglade 0.14 for
this version of gnome-core

I ftp libglade-0.16 and installed it (to the default
location /usr/local/lib).  The problem is I do not
know how to tell gnome configure to search
/usr/local/lib.

I tried  "configure --with-gnome-libs=/usr/local/lib"
but this did not help.  Is installing libglade into
/usr/lib the only solution?

Can anybody help?  Thank you very much.

=====
Robert Lee