No database available

I've just compiled and installed GConf uneventfully as part of Gnome
1.4.  However as soon as I start Nautilus it gives me the following
error

GConf Error:
No database available to save your configuration:

Can anyone tell me how to remedy this?  I've installed everything under
/opt/gnome except popt which was already installed as part of my base
Mandrake 7.2 system.  Can replies be CC'd to me as I'm not subscribed to
this list.  Apologies if that sounds rude but I'm trying to solve
several software issues at the moment and aren't able to subscribe to a
list for all of them and I thought this list was preferable to mailing
the maintainer directly.

Thanks,
Steve

--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 9:10AM  up 28 days, 16:53, 1 user, load averages: 0.01, 0.04, 0.00