Re: backends (ldap)

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I don't know if you've heard about openldap implementation. It is in C,
> and although I don't know it very very well,
> it seems quite easy to use. I think you can download from
> www.openldap.org, and if not, RedHat includes it, and
> in Debian, it's the package named libopenldap*
>
> I'm not the GConf maintainer, so I can't vote on this, but I won't
> suggest at all using Java for this GConf backend.
>
> cheers

I have (openldap) 1.2.11 (comes with rh7.0) and openldap-2.0.7 (off web site).
the 1.2.11 doesn't seem to like to compile, but 2.0.7 is fine.
So I am currently playing with 2.0.7.

Its not that the interface to openldap is *that* painfull, its just not one that
I would look forward to using, sort of a "you really must be sure that
you want LDAP before using this" type thing, whereas the Java one is
just that much simpler to use. It seems that there are wrappers avail for
everything but C++, python, perl, java, tk, ... It might be easier to just use
C (_maybe_ with one or two ++ classes just to designs sake) after all
this is a backend to a system library, I would not wait to use Java for this
but it seems that there is very much mixed reactions to Java + Linux anyway.