GconfClient and notification?

I tried the following to get notifications:

 gconf_client_add_dir (cb->client, cb->path, GCONF_CLIENT_PRELOAD_NONE,
         NULL);

 cb->nid = gconf_client_notify_add (cb->client, cb->path,
        bonobo_config_notify_listeners,
        cb->client, NULL, NULL);

To test it I wrote a program which set a value to 17, then to 18.

When I run the program the first time I get 2 notification - fine.
But if I run the program again I do not receive any event until I
kill gconfd?

Is this expected to work, is it a bug, is something wrong with my code?

- Dietmar