logging gconfd state

Hi,

Soliciting opinions: I'm making gconfd save the current set of
contexts and listeners to a log file, so it can reload said logfile if
it crashes or exits normally.

I can do this two ways:
 a) save the log synchronously when a client adds a listener, so that
    failure to save the log returns an error to the client.
 b) save the log in an idle or timeout, so that adding multiple
    listeners results in only one log save, and adding a listener
    remains cheap.

a) is more robust but I think it's too slow. So I'm probably going to
do b). But if anyone can think of clever arguments, please post.