Re: gconf relative to other GNOME config API's

on 8/25/00 8:19 AM, Colm Smyth at Colm.Smyth@ireland.sun.com wrote:

> Is there any possibility that gnome-vfs-mime-info() could use GConf
> internally to store it's settings? While there is a performance penalty,
> the benefits to sysadmins when configuring mime-bindings for multiple
> users in a networked environment are significant.

There's definitely a possibility. I don't think anyone is worried about the
performance penalty. But the work to switch to using GConf is not trivial.

We are trying to stop adding features to nautilus, gnome-vfs, and medusa,
and start fixing bugs so we can send out a good stable version soon. So I
think it's unlikely that it will fit into the plans for gnome-vfs 1.0, but
it seems like a nice idea. I'll add something to our bug system / task
database so we don't completely forget about the idea.

    -- Darin