Re: is a value writeable?

Dan Winship <danw@helixcode.com> writes:
> > Yes, but then the value get() returns would not be modified, and your
> > application should not change the setting that's currently in effect.
> > So setting it doesn't do you any good at all. Why do you want to set
> > it in that case?
>
> Oh, I was confused by the example; the readonly file name was
> "workgroup_defaults", where "defaults" to me implies you can override
> them if you don't like them, so I assumed changing the value in the rw
> dir would do that, and that the message was pointing out the
> difficulty in doing that. Now that I know the search order doesn't
> work that way, it's obvious what the message is really talking about.
>
> (I can't think of a replacement word for "defaults" that wouldn't be
> ambiguous though.)

I've been calling it "mandatory", so if you search from top to bottom,
you have:

   - mandatory read-only settings
   - user settings
   - default settings

You can have multiple databases providing any of those levels. So the
idea here is to detect the case where you have a mandatory setting and
gray out the option in the prefs dialog.