Run away brower

Greetings all from a new Linux user.

I had a very odd occurance while using GNome with the default web browser. After opening the browser, it continue to launch browser after browser - totaling over one hundred, faster than I could close them. The behavior struck me as a possible virus, so I wiped everything and re-instalkled from scratch. This was a good thing since I learned which packages I really do not need to install - since I installed everything the first time. Has this ever happend to anyone else?

John Merryman