Building on SuSE 9.0

There are not generally updates for gnome RPMs available from/for older SuSE distros. Hence, I want to update the "global" gnome install on a number of machines. When I went to 2.8 I did it by hand, which was not only tedious, but left my fingers sore! (LOL).

SuSE puts libraries and exe's in different places than Red Hat, some things go into /usr, /usr/local and /opt/gnome.

I saw on the SuSE support list that people did not have much success with garnome with the last release, so I thought I would ask here if it is possible to do this.

Thanks,

Jim