gar.conf.mk: little surprises...

I ran into some python-2.4 dependency issues with last week's release so
I thought I would try building this week's release using python-2.4.1
instead of python-2.3.5, which is the current "default" on my system.

I edited gar.conf.mk, setting the python environment variable

	PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2.4

kicked off

	make parnoid-install > make_paranoid-install.log 2>&1 &

in the ./bindings directory, and went off to do some other things.

Later I took a look at the log and noticed that the build of libxml++
was using

	/usr/bin/python

which is a link to python2.3.5.

Hmmm... Why is that???

Setting the python environment variable is a really good idea *provided*
all of the GNOME applications bother to check for that environment
variable before hunting around the file system in the usual places for
an acceptable version of python. As we can see, some do, some don't.

This is a coding standards problem.

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net