Re: garnome-2.11-20050610.1755: Building GeekToys

Issues:
=======

* coaster-0.1.4.2
nautilus-cd-burner-2.11.3 API has changed

	==>./src/ncbmn/recorder.cc does not compile

* gDesklets-0.34.3
Version 0.35 has been released. I upgraded.

Building uncovered problems with a dependency,

	bindings/gnome-python-extras-2.11.2

gnome-python-bindings/gda does not build. There are a two of problems:

- some code is python-2.4.x specific
pygdavalue_conversions.c does not compile in a python-2.3.5 environment
owing to changes in

	/usr/include/python-2.x/datetime.h

- some code is libgda-1.2 specific
gda.c needs to be rewritten to compile in a libgda-1.3.x environment.

I edited the top level makefile to avoid building gda:

        		#am__append_12 = gda

and filed a bug #307768.  The set of desklets that comes with gDesklets
does not use the gda support so gDesklets-0.35 builds and installs.

* gnome-meeting-1.21
Building uncovered a problem with a "secondary" dependency:

	./bootstrap/expat

which had been explicitly installed because of

	./bootstrap/gettext

which was installed because of

	./bootstrap/isocodes

which is new...

expat-1.95.6 is very old and very broken. Upgrade to version-1.95.8.

* liferea-0.9.2
The DBUS API has changed

	==> ./src/ui_feedlist.c does not compile

The fix is simple:
        edit line #824
	   replace dbus_bus_acquire_service
           with    dbus_request_name

* quick-lounge-applet-2.10.0
Does not build because of changes in the gnome-menus API going from
version 2.10.x to 2.11.x.  I have not [yet] fixed

	./src/dlg-pick-applications.c

but it does not look too difficult.

* screem-0.14.1
Does not build because of changes in the gnome-menus API going from
version 2.10.x to 2.11.x.  I have not [yet] fixed

	./src/screem-apps-model.c

The porting problems are similar to those encountered in
dlg-pick-applications.c

* thoggen-0.3
An attempt to build thoggen exposed a previously reported problem with
gst-ffmpeg that has yet to be resolved:

        http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2005-May/msg00027.html

I tried upgrading gst-ffmpeg to version 0.85, but that version also
causes gst-register-0.8 to segfault.  I retreated to a previous version
built from the CVS code, which works.

thoggen-0.3 does *not* compile because of changes in the DBUS API. I
downloaded and built the CVS code,

        cvs -d:pserver:anonymous cvs thoggen net:/cvsroot/thoggen login

        when prompted for a password, just hit the 'enter' key, then
        type:

        cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous cvs thoggen net:/cvsroot/thoggen co
        thoggen

which does compile and run. By "run" I mean the application comes up. I
don't have a DVD drive attached to this system so I cannot test.

During compilation a message pops up:

        It seems like you are using dbus >= 0.30 and hal >= 0.5.0

        Please be advised that this code has not been tested with
        this configuration yet, it has just been fixed to compile.

        Please let me know whether DVD drive detection works on
        your system, and please do send the log as well (so I
        can see whether the drives were actually detected via
        HAL or using the backup methods). Thanks!

Hopefully, someone will do this...

-Joseph
--
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net