Gnome-panel menu doesn't work in garnome 2.10.1.1

Dear all,

I had this strange urge recently to upgrade my system again. I'm running
SuSE Linux 9.2 with 2.6.8-24.14 kernel and compiled garnome 2.10.1.1 on
my machine. So far no problem. However, clicking on the gnome menu (this
black or coloured gnome foot) in the panel does not show the result I'm
expecting. In a time between 0ms and 500ms the menu disappears to a
small gray rectangle (about 3x5 pixels or so) in the upper left corner
of the original space the menu should be in. It is impossible to select
anything from the menu since the time the menu "shows" is much too
short.

I have recompiled and reinstalled gnome-panel and gnome-menus from the
garnome distribution but that didn't help me any further. I have also
moved away all gnome-related dotfiles from my home directory (further to
a message from Joseph who had problems with some other applications due
to that so I thought I can give that a try) but to no avail.

If it's important to know: I have updated the kernel to a.m. version
AFTER I have installed the whole garnome package. Was that a mistake? I
thought that should be independent...

My config:
SuSE Linux 9.2
Kernel 2.6.8-24.14
X 6.8.1
gcc 3.3.4
garnome 2.10.1.1

If you need further details about my installation or behaviours of my
system, please let me know.

(BTW: I had garnome 2.10.0.1 installed previously and there the menus
worked well)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Manfred

--