Something bad has recently happened to gnomeprint on a PPC

Applications that use gnomeprint [abiword, evo, etc.]  no longer print
when built within the garnome-2.11.5.1 framework on a PPC. Any attempt
to print or print-preview results in a segfault.

These applications do successfully print on a PPC when built within the
garnome-2.10.2 environment.  One additional data point received from the
#garnome channel [Robert Ford] reports that evo, when built on a lintel
box within the garnome-2.11.5.1 framework, can print. [I would hate to
think that an endian-related problem has crept into the code.].

What to do???

I have "simplified" testing by taking the applications out of the
picture. I extracted ./tests/simple.c from the libgnomeprint-2.11.0
source and added a Makefile that is careful to use pkg-config to
construct the compile and link flags.  A tarball is attached below.

On a PPC running YDL-4.0.1 [FC2 clone] the results from building and
running "simple" are as follows:

* garnome-2.11.5.1      ==> segfault
* garnome-2.10.2        ==> OK
* gnome-2.6.0 [YDL]     ==> OK

When "OK", the resultant PS file, op.ps, has some issues, but at least
"simple" does not crash:

        ./simple
        Done...

Some initial GDB probing of "simple" shows something is badly broken.
For example,
        67              gpc = gnome_print_job_get_context (job);
        (gdb) p job
        $1 = (GnomePrintJob *) 0x10018a80
        (gdb) p *job
        $2 = {object = {g_type_instance = {g_class = 0x38323636}, ref_count = 892810550,
            qdata = 0x50}, config = 0x59, meta = 0x1, input_file = 0x0, priv = 0x7fd3a2d8}

I don't [yet] know much about the libgnomeprint code, but I cannot imagine an
object with a ref_count in nine figures. Something is very, very wrong.

Thoughts???

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net