Re: 2.9.4.1 : mozilla cannot be built

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 10:59 +0100, Olivier Lecarme wrote:
> > > In my attempts to have totem working, I tried a make paranoid-install in
> > > bootstrap.
>
> > You really should not do that. Building bootstrap/libiconv on Linux
> > systems can cause a lot of trouble for packages being built later...
> >
> > The section "An IMPORTANT note about bootstrap" in the README is there
> > for a reason. Especially this part:
> >
> >   'Unless you know you need something in bootstrap/, you don't!'
>
> I needed something in bootstrap/, i.e. freetype. After I installed it,
> Gimp began to work, which it didn't before, because of the freetype
> version. Thus I decided to try installing everything in bootstrap/, in
> order to have totem working, as explained before.

Yes, you said that, and I understood it.

Nonetheless, building single packages form bootstrap and using
paranoid-install are different things. Especially when trying to build
libiconv...

> > > Here is the result for firefox, when trying to build mozilla:
> [...]
> > > Dans le fichier inclus à partir de /root/garnome/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:41,
>
> > Please use an English locale for building, when posting error messages
> > to the list...
>
> Was it really impossible to understand? I'm sorry, but English is not
> my mother tongue.

It isn't mine either.

But apart from the file names, I don't understand that error message at
all. I do understand some words in French -- most don't apply in a
situation like this. ;-)

You didn't write this post in French too, for a reason, did you?

So please, when posting to an international mailing list trying to get
help by others, use English. If you want to post the error spewage,
that's fine -- and rebuilding the failing package with an English locale
for this purpose only isn't hard.

> > And btw, it isn't recommended to build Garnome as root, especially the
> > Unstable tree.
>
> Somebody, maybe you, already told me, but with no more explanations.
> Since the garnome hierarchy is completely separated from the normal
> hierarchy, where is the problem?

There are a couple different issues, that might strike you.

* Some packages (especially unstable ones) may try to install to /usr,
totally ignoring the given $prefix -- thus severely borking your
installed system. I have seen more than one package trying this...

So what you just claimed isn't necessarily true. Garnome is only
completely separated, as long as no package screws up.

* On a related note, almost every build instructions tell you to build
as a user and only *install* as root, when using some system $prefix.

* The default $GARNOME dir is $HOME/garnome/ -- which really is a bad
idea if you don't change this when building as root and want to use
Garnome as a non-root user later...

Building as a non-root user is a way to (guaranteed) not harm your
system and makes it harder to shoot yourself in the foot, in case you
made a slight mistake setting up the gar.conf.mk variables.

> > >           à partir de nsDeviceContextGTK.cpp:78:
> > > /root/garnome/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:20:2: #error "`ft2build.h' hasn't been included yet!"
> > > /root/garnome/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:21:2: #error "Please always use macros to include FreeType header files."
> > > /root/garnome/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:22:2: #error "Example:"
> > > /root/garnome/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:23:2: #error "  #include <ft2build.h>"
> > > /root/garnome/include/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h:24:2: #error "  #include FT_FREETYPE_H"
>
> > Is this a SuSE 9.x system? Seems to be issues with your freetype or Xft.
> > Did you build them from bootstrap?
>
> It's a Debian Sid (i.e. unstable; I love unstability). After this error,
> I did install Xft from bootstrap/, and voilà (sorry for my French),
> mozilla and firefox compiled OK!

Well, that's one of the words I do understand. Actually, I believe it's
pretty much international...

Anyway, I'm glad that my suggested Xft solved the issue. :-)

> Moreover, I finished installing everything from bootstrap/, including
> libiconv, then compiled again Totem, and after that it is working!
>
> Thus, installing things from bootstrap/ seems very useful indeed...

Well, you should talk to Paul regarding building bootstrap/ and changing
the README.

...guenther