Re: {arch} directories and catagory.mk - firefox on debian

Bob Kashani wrote:

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 15:23 -0800, Bob Kashani wrote:
LOL... :)

I also have a question for you. Does Debian not provide a firefox
package at all?

it does. just not the -dev package.

It seems from the thread that you posted, that the issue
was whether Debian could provide a modified/patched version of firefox.
right. with the 'fox-and-fire' logo. if it were not for the trademark policy that mozilla/netscape... er... timewarner/aol... implies. they would probably provide a -dev package.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't just provide a pristine version
of firefox like most other distros until/if the issue is resolved.
security. stabability. playing nice with epiphany, and other apps.

I know that Fedora doesn't provide a -devel package for firefox yet so
Fedora users have to compile firefox in GARNOME as well.

Probably for the same reasons.

Also, most
older distros don't provide firefox so there are a lot of people who
have to compile firefox in GARNOME if they want to compile epiphany. But
the reason we leave bootstrap/firefox commented in epiphany is:

- A lot of people already have a binary package of firefox installed and
usually remove epiphany from desktop/ anyway
- Firefox is not part of GARNOME

Arrgh, I meant GNOME...
I thought it was GAR!!! Gnome ;)

- It takes a long time to compile it and hence it would increase the
compile time for most people
I guess it's more or less like you said. If you want epiphany. you must also build firefox. Don't want to build firefox? don't install epiphany.

Bob

--
Bob Kashani
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~bobk/garnome