Gnome Question: How do you unlock the gnome menus for editing???

On my system, the 2.9.91 menus appear to be locked and cannot be edited
using nautilus. For example, any attempt by "root" to add a folder to
the Applications menu causes nautilus to crash.  I do not have this
problem with garnome-2.8.2.1.

This may have something to do with the fact that the 2.8.2.1 menus
contain *only* gnome things installed under /opt/garnome, whereas the
2.9.91 menus pick up both gnome things installed under /opt/garnome and
GNOME/YDL/KDE things installed under /usr. YDL-4 installs gnome-2.6.0
under /usr.

The menus under YDL-4.0 are locked for reasons I do not understand.
So..., maybe the problem is not with 2.9.91 but rests instead with the
YDL-4 installation of gnome-2.6.

YDL-4 installs its vfolders under /usr/share gnome. I checked the
permissions on /usr/share/gnome/vfolders.  Things look OK. The
directory, which is owned by root.root, has permissions 755.  The files
within the directory are also owned by root.root and have permissions
644, which should prevent *only* non-root users from modifying the
menus.

Under YDL-4 the panel(s) are not locked.  I am able to add/remove/modify
panels. Exploring the wonders of gnome and gconf, I see that there is a
key/value pair that controls panel modification,

	/apps/panel/global/lock_down      [false]

I have not found an equivalent key/value pair for menus.

Thoughts???

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net