building geektoys/thoggen

The folks at Terrasoft Software [TSS], who produce Yellow Dog Linux, are
sensitive about being sued, so they do not package up any MPEG stuff. In
fact, they go out of their way to strip MPEG stuff out of open source
packages.

Thoggen requires a gstreamer plugin name mpeg2dec.

I pulled down software for libmeg2 [mpeg2dec-0.4.0] and
gst-plugins-0.8.2.  I have built and installed mpeg2dec-0.4.0 and have
built [but installed] gst-plugins-0.8.2 in order to create

		libgstmpeg2dec.so.

The question is...

How do I get the system to recognize that I have a new gstreamer-plugin?

I placed the shared library under /opt/garnome/lib/gstreamer-0.8, hoping
that was all that was required to get the system to recognize that I
have added a new plugin.  No such luck.  I could always RTFM, but I was
hoping someone out there on the list might actually know and save me the
trouble. It's been a long day hacking garnome ...

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net