Garnome/KDE clash

Hi folks,

I successfully installed Garnome-2.8.2.1 on my Suse 9.2 laptop and office PC.
Apart from sundry dependencies that were fairly easy to fix, everything works
just fine (except for hal/dbus/gnome-volume-manager, which I decided to skip
for the time being).

The main problem I am having is a conflict with Suse's KDE setup. Basically,
if I run Garnome-2.8.2.1, the KDE file associations, menu, and (partially)
panel setup are clobbered. For instance, in KDE, if I click on a text file,
KDE tries to launch gedit. I know how to force Suse's startkde script to
"fix" this (delete your ~/.skel directory, and the script thinks it's the
first time you are running KDE). However, this is still quite annoying, and
it sort of defeats one purpose of Garnome---the idea that you can safely
experiment with more cutting-edge verisons of Gnome without compromising your
setup.

So, my question(s) are: (1) am I the only one who is having this problem? and
(2) where does Garnome mimetype information? I thought this was
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/share/applications, but perhaps I am getting this all wrong!

Thanks for your help,
Marciano.
--
Marciano Siniscalchi