Re: evo plugin configuration revisited...

Forgot to answer this yet, so here we go.

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 12:06 -0400, Joseph E. Sacco, PhD wrote:
> The issue here is how configure handles plugins.  The default is "all".
> Configure does attempt to check some of the dependencies for the
> plugins.
>
> As for dbus..., the author of the dbus plugin has been working on a
> simple session-dbus-based mail notification applet.  The applet is in
> its early stages.
>

> -Joseph

> [Joseph]
> (2) desktop/evolution
> The configure process tests for dbus so freedeskstop/dbus might as well
> be added to the dependency list. Otherwise, configure will use whatever
> it finds. The only way to eliminate looking for dbus is to explicitly
> list which plugins are to be built [--enable-plugins = list]
>
> [Paul]
> Why? guenther, can you give me any light as to why an e-Mail client
> would need to probe the system bus -- unless we're planning to ship with
> libnotify turned on, an inotify-enabled kernel and udev, I can't see why
> we'd need it.

Sure. ;)  If I get you right, all you're wondering is why Evo would
use/need dbus, right? Well, the "mail notification plugin" actually
doesn't really notify, IIRC. It sends dbus messages, which can be picked
up by any "real" notification app. There is at least one such app living
in the notification tray floating around the net...

Apparently there are plans to gt rid of bonobo and use dbus instead in
the future. [1]

> Still... if Evo could work on my 'victim' box without trying to eat my
> IMAP mailboxes, i'd be really happy.

FWIW, the serious IMAP bug [2] (introduced in 2.3.6) is solved since
Evolution 2.3.6.1.

Just for the information of the list: The issue mentioned above is
unrelated to this IMAP bug. It likely is related to the mail provider
used. If you are using IMAP sever, you really should be using the "IMAP"
account, rather than "IMAP4v1". IMAP4v1 still is unstable and not
recommended. In fact, this account type likely will be removed [3]
before the next stable release Evolution 2.4.0.

...guenther

[1] http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/evolution-hackers/2005-August/006189.html
[2] http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/evolution-hackers/2005-July/006103.html
[3] http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/evolution-hackers/2005-August/006234.html