Re: garome-hackers-2.11 23Aug05: a first look

The GNOMES have decided that firefox "should" be the gecko back end of
choice for applications like epiphany, liferea, and totem.

What I believe "we" want for the GARNOME build:

        * If the user built firefox as part of GARNOME, that version of
        firefox should be used as the gecko back end.

        * If the user, for whatever reason,  chose *not* to build
        firefox as part of GARNOME, but has a full implementation of
        firefox installed elsewhere on the system, that version of
        firefox should be used as the gecko back end.

        * If the user does not have a full implementation of firefox
        installed anywhere on the system, whatever gecko back end
        available should be used.

The user, of course, is free is to edit the GARNOME Makefiles to use
whatever gecko back end they wish.

The problem with the original script is "test -e", which tests for the
existence of a *file*, will always fail because the "ls" part of the
script returns *relative* path names rather full path names.

If firefox-gtkmozembed.pc exists within PKG_CONFIG_PATH, the "ls" part
of the script

        "`ls $(shell echo $(PKG_CONFIG_PATH) | sed -e "s/:/ /g") 2>&1 /dev/null | grep firefox-gtkmozembed.pc`"

will [correctly] return a non-NULL string,

        firefox-gtkmozembed.pc

The "ls" part will *not* return a string that is the full path name of
this .pc file.

Consequently,

	test -e "firefox-gtkmozembed.pc"

will always fail because the .pc file will not be found in the directory
from which the test was run.

Alternately,

	test "firefox-gtkmozembed.pc"

will pass because the "ls" part of the script has returned a non-NULL
string, i.e.,

	test string ==> TRUE if string is not NULL

That is what we want...

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net