Re: next vesion

> a)   How difficult is it to compile the new Garnome 2.8, and still
> leave 2.6 up and running in case I can not make the new one work
> properly initially (am a strict newcomer!)

>From the FAQ in the README:

    1. Can I install GARNOME without breaking my current GNOME setup?

       Sure, that's part of what GARNOME is for! By default, it will
       install to ~/garnome/ and not effect any of your existing GNOME
       packages. It may affect your configuration files though, so you
       ought to back them up or use a totally different user to run
       GARNOME.

So as Garnome is designed to be built in addition to the system Gnome
desktop, it's just as easy to built it in addition to any other
previously built Garnome Gnome desktop.

Just grab the 2.8 tarball and change the $prefix to not point to any
existing build. Like ~/garnome-2.8/ or /opt/gnome-2.8/ for example. (I
prefer the latter.)

You can have as many Gnome desktops around, as you want to.

> b)   I have a problem with my current 2.6 installation, after I get
> the glitter ball, the computer just sits for about two minutes before
> continuing to load.  I don't know if it is waiting to connect to a
> network that doesn't exist or what the problem is.  Is there a way to
> diagnose this i.e. read or create log file to start a trace?  I'm new
> to this so need to do it on (small) step at a time!

Hmm, dunno. Although I heard of hangs on startup, due to b0rked network
settings. So a first shot in the dark would be to make sure your
hostname is properly set and your /etc/hosts file has an entry for
127.0.0.1.

...guenther