configuring emacs

I'm running Garnome (not sure of version, gnome 2.6) and can not seem to be able to configure
colours or anything else for emacs.

I've created both a .emacs and .Xconfigure in my home directory but doesn't seem to help.

When I start emacs in a terminal window it says it is version
21.3.2 and something about i386-mandrake-linux-gnu

so I guess it is the version hanging around from the original mandrake linux install.

Can anyone tell me what file needs to be created/edited to get it change behaviour?

TIA

Jim

Jim Maas                jamaas   btinternet   com