new garnome install

I've managed to get Garnome compiled and installed once, but with a lot of work!  I'd like to update and read
the following on the FAQ instructions.

1.1 Can I install GARNOME without breaking my current GNOME setup?

Sure, that's part of what GARNOME is for! By default, it will install to ~/garnome/ and not effect any of your existing GNOME packages. It may affect your configuration files though, so you ought to back them up or use a totally different user to run GARNOME. (Paul Drain)

The trouble is that I've already got a ~/garnome directory from the last install.  That may mean I did something incorrectly last time ... so

1. should I fix this and install the new garnome somewhere else?
2. how can I do this and leave the current one intact in case the new one fails?

Thanks

Jim

Jim Maas Ph.D.
29 Amber Close