Re: Solaris 9

> Will garnome work with Solaris 9?  I assume I would have to download the
> GNU toolset.  Would there be dependencies on the X server?

Yes, it will work. There are many patches for applications, which are
not needed on Linux, but it will work. I've successfully built GNOME 2.4
and GNOME 2.6 on Solaris and reported many bugs /  many simple patches
for it. Still, there are things which are very unstable (e.g. Evolution
2.x is crashing for me now.)

You need many packages from sunfreeware.com or the Sun Companion CD,
mostly gnu-fileutils and so.

I recommend gcc-3.3.2 from sunfreeware.com

If you need Epiphany/Galeon, you need mozilla also, the problem is, you
need to compile them with Forte compiler instead of GCC, or the java
applets won't work.

Xserver is working ok, I don't use GDM and some features for xkb
(keyboard switching) don't work on Sun Rays correctly.

regards,
VIX
--
  Ing. Ivan Noris
  System engineer, Business Global Systems, a.s.