Re: 2.6.1 on SuSE 9.0: comments + buglet

[ GDM, parts snipped ]
> *Then* you need to drop the actual Garnome startup script
> in /usr/X11R6/bin, and call it "garnome". This is the script provided in
> the README file, which does the actual work (of course, this must be
> executable).

This is explained in the README as well as on the Garnome website. To
quote the site:

  The easiest way is to create a garnome-session script, and use the
  standard method your distribution provides to launch it when you start
  X. Here's what the script should look like:

To my understanding, using and configuring the display manager you are
using is the "and use the standard method your distribution provides to
launch it" part, where "it" is the provided session script.

This works perfectly for me. :)

> I do not claim to understand how this works exactly, but the SuSE
> scripts (or maybe GDM) scan /etc/opt/gnome/gdm/Sessions to see which
> sessions are available; then they launch the corresponding script
> in /usr/X11R6/bin. So, the name of the placeholder script
> in /etc/opt/gnome/gdm/Sessions must be the same as the name of the
> actual session script in /usr/X11R6/bin. I believe this is done so that
> the same session scripts work under both GDM and KDM. Again, this is a
> SuSE-only issue, I believe.

Hmm, if they really need to have identical names, this likely would be a
SuSE specific bit.

Here are the files and relevant bits I had to set. The last one ist the
garnome session script as mentioned in the README/website and the first
one is "the method my distribution provides". ;)

$ ls -l /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/Gnome-2.6.desktop
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 115 May 16 01:27 /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/Gnome-2.6.desktop
$ ls -l /opt/gnome-2.6/session
-rwxr-xr-x  1 guenther users 369 May  6 20:28 /opt/gnome-2.6/session*

$ grep Exec /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/Gnome-2.6.desktop
Exec=/opt/gnome-2.6/session

> Finally, I could not properly "make install" the redhart-artwork
> package. Basically, the Metacity and GTK2 themes work, but icons (both
> for the desktop and for Nautilus) are *not* built or installed (I
> checked by looking inside the Work directory). BTW, I had to install the
> gtk-devel, glib-devel and gdk-pixbuf-devel RPM packages for "make
> install" to work. In particular, the gtk-devel dependency is caught by
> the configure script, but the gdk-pixbuf dependency is not---the build
> process fails with errors such as "GdkPixbuf undefined...".

Yup, I mentioned this issue some days ago. Configure just doesn't check
for gdk-pixbuf headers, although it should. Blame Red Hat. ;-)

...guenther

--
No default sig today, as the sig composer instantly crashes Evolution
1.5.7 devel version... ;)