LD_LIBRARY_PATH not set

Hi,
I've got a problem with some applications.

I'm running garnome0.30.1. It was build on my old debian-installation. I've gzipped the whole garnome-directory and extracted it on my new debian (sid) installation.

the problem:
gnome starts with no problems. starting some applications like eog (Eye of Gnome; Image Viewer) do not work because the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set. I can only start eog if I set the environment variable in the console. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in .bashrc, .profile does not help. I still cannot start eog.
Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /etc/profile does not help too :-(

On my old debian installation I was able to start eog.

Any suggestions?

Bye
Phong