compilation problems when using DESTDIR

Hello,

I have several compilation problems I don't know all how to fix.

in gar.conf.mk I have set
     main_prefix ?= /usr
and
     main_DESTDIR ?= /tmp/X

It works fine (all get installed under /tmp/X/usr) up to atk package,
which looks for glib-2.0 under /usr/include and /usr/lib not /tmp/X/usr/include nor /tmp/X/usr/lib. glib-2.0 was properly installed by garnome under /tmp/X/usr

I checkout the glib-2.0 package which seems correct:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
    make DESTDIR=/tmp/X install

This installed glib-2.0 properly.

So I made a package of glib-2.0 and installed in my system (under /usr)
and garnome could continue with atk compilation.

But now I have pango that, when installing tries, to put files in /usr/etc/pango, which I don't allow (not building packages as root to avoid such direct installation). I would expect it to go under
    /tmp/X/usr/etc/pango

Here also I can go under plateform/pango... and install with

    make DESTDIR=/tmp/X install

all works fine, but if I run garnome again, it still fails trying to install some pango files directly under /usr/etc/pango which I don't want, not detecting pango has been installed (OK, installed by hand),

I am using garnome 2.5.91

The context is that I want to build a package of garnome before installing it in the real system, thing I am used to do to be able to easily remove and update each piece of software.

Where can I fix this problem ?
thanks for any help.

Denis.