Re: Shorten/clean GARNOME compile messages like kernel 2.6.x

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 10:03, Sandeep Khanna wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Can you suggest or change the way the GARNOME compile messages are
> displayed? The current method of showing all the compiler flags and
> paths just takes up a lot of screen, CPU, and looks cluttered and is
> anyways ignored 90% of the time by most of the users as it is run in
> some background terminal.
>
> They cleaned up the linux kernel 2.6.x compile to look much cleaner. You
> can always make a small change in the Makefile to get the cluttered
> display messages back.

The Makefile for the linux-2.6.x kernels were rewritten to cleanup the
output, like you said. Therefore, in order to cleanup the output in
garnome, *all* of the Makefile files for all of the packages would need
to be changed ( and that is a lot of Makefiles ).

The best solution is to simply redirect stdout to /dev/null ( e.g. make
> /dev/null ).  This will still leave stderr to the screen for you to
see the error messages.

Steven Knight  steven knight unh edu   IM : skkataim

and tho' We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

-- Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson