Re: Just a question...

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 16:13, Thomas Hansen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I´m just curious: is it safe to install garnome on /usr? I mean,

Jeff: please correct me if I'm being overly paranoid, but:

Don't install it to /usr!   It isn't safe...

AFAIK Garnome is aimed at intrepid users who want to try out the very
latest tarball versions of GNOME, rather than a way of getting a stable
version of GNOME.

Although it beats CVS in that the tarballs have a good chance of
compiling, and the tarballs in theory should be getting more and more
stable, there's never any guarantee that Garnome will work fully.

You would probably end up with a very confused system, with lots of
subtle and not-so-subtle breakage.

> obviously it will destroy the (if any) previously installed gnome
> distribution, but what I want to know is if it´s going to compromise
> my system. Did anyone here ever made it? Does it work ok?

The good news is that you should be able to install to another prefix;
I've had success using a subdirectory of my home directory in the past
(though these days I use jhbuild), or if you want other users to see it
you can create an entirely new folder (/opt/gnome?)

Hope this helps