Desktop and Nautilus SVG Icons not displaying

Using Garnome 2.6.2.1 - after everything compiles, most desktop icons will not be displayed, when I try to change the icon theme I get the following message in the parent shell:

path to iconrc:#: unable to locate image file in pixmap-path: "file.svg"

The only icons that don't display are the ones dealing with nautilus - i.e. the desktop and file folders, etc. All the other icons are there. Also the error apparently occurs only with SVG icons.

During installation, librsvg 2.6.5 does compile and install.

Any ideas ??