esd

Maybe this is not the right list, but I have the feeling most 'power'
gnome users read here.

will we ever be rid of esd? and if so, what will be the successor?
As I see it the most important function of esd is multiplexing numerous
sound inputs onto 1 sound output (being able to hear the gaim log on
while listening to internetradio is a good example).

But esd utterly fails when having two sound cards (I have an SBlive! and
a usb headset). Having spend something like two days fighting with oss,
alsa and esd to get it all to work I almost switched to a 2.6 kernel
just to eliminate oss. I really think we need a better way.

comments?

--
Ron Smits <ron ronsmits com>