Re: problems with .desktop icons

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 11:06:28AM -0700, Raul Acevedo wrote:
> I built GARNOME 2.6 using TLA and all is well... except that Nautilus is
> not properly recognizing ".desktop" icons, it thinks they are plain text
> files.  For example, on my desktop I don't get the usual "Start Here"
> icon that does something useful when you click on it; I get a
> "start-here.desktop" icon that when I click on it, Nautilus asks me what
> program to associate it with.
>
> Ditto for clicking on "Computer", all the stuff in there --- the
> .desktop and .drive files --- get a very generic foot icon, and when I
> click on them, Nautilus doesn't have an action for them.
>
> If I enter "start-here:" in Nautilus, that works, but the icons in that
> view have the same problem: applications.desktop icon with no action.
>
> Ideas?

Sounds like it might be the infamous XDG_DATA problem.
Make sure the shared-mime-info package is installed, then set both
XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_DATA_DIRS to $GARNOME/share in .xsession and
.tcshrc/.bash_profile. There seems to be some disagreement as to
whether the .xsession is required, but it was for me. You'll need
to log out and log back in to see if it worked.

	Thanks,

	John A.