Garnome as a robust production environement ?

I have successfully compiled and lauched garnome-0.27 on RH9.

The results are amazing, especially in terms of speed, and coherence of
it all.

I'd like to share ideas about getting a solid proper installation of
Debian, with no gnome and no gnome software at all, only X, and
recompile garnome-0.27 and use all this as my main productive
environement.

How serious that is ?

How to have garnome run for different users ?

How to maintain new version of softwares ?

Does really compiling ourself Gnome 2.4 improves speed ?

Ideals/comments/experiences are more then welcome,

Superfrog